Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bastille Day!

I feel like this post has a high demand seeing as how many of you have wished us well on our newly acquired Parisian holiday. And, it was for that reason I was a bit intimidated of the day. I was afraid it was going to turn into one of those high pressure party holidays we have like New Years and Halloween where there is all this anticipation that sometimes flops. But alas, it was as good as I have always imagined from the oral accounts of so many who have experienced it themselves!

Arriving back from Manchester on the most beautiful, sunny day yet we fell in love with Paris all over again but even more this time. Every building looked even more perfect, people were filling up the cafes with conversations recounting the days events (well I am guessing since I can't understand anything being said around me!) and the crowds building on Pont des Arts (a pedestian bridge that crosses over the Seine right in front of the Louvre) for the Bastille Day fire works with plenty to drink solidified our perception that Parisian culture really embrases life!

The pictures that follow are a progression of the night as we drank wine and ate pastries anticipating the fireworks with all the locals.When we found our spot you could still walk around on the bridge.


Standing room only!

Pont des Arts


A view of the Seine with onlookers along the side and on Pont des Arts where we were sitting.


View of Ile de La Cite with onlookers.


Michele and I at the festivities!


The Eiffel Tower just before the fireworks.

What an amazingly rich experience!

3 comments:

  1. wow! i want to be there too! i approve! (and so does rosalie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo happy you are liking Paris! I loved it so much. Lish and I ate bread and cheese and drank a bottle of wine on that same bridge. Beautiful!

    I totally agree about the way of life. Priorities seem different there.

    Can't wait to see you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what happened to your updates....Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself and taking it easy.

    ReplyDelete